With time, much like various components of your abode, electrical systems succumb to wear and tear. An old electrical system can cause serious problems, not just in your home but also for you and your loved ones. It’s not just about the inconvenience; it can actually put your safety and security at risk, from power outages to fires and more. Here is a list of common signs that you may need to hire a professional to rewire your home.

Sparking Outlets

One of the most concerning signs of potential electrical issues is the occurrence of sparks when plugging devices into your outlets. Not only does this pose a threat to your appliances, but it also presents a significant safety hazard. Sparks typically indicate a short circuit within the outlet, resulting in the buildup of excessive heat that can melt the insulation. If left exposed, this can lead to electrical fires. If you notice switch plates, wires, or plugs that are hot or discolored, it’s a clear sign of trouble, often caused by sparking outlets.

Buzzing Sound Coming From Your Outlets

If you’re hearing a constant buzzing or humming sound coming from your outlets or switches, it’s a sure sign that your wiring system may need rewiring. If you notice a faint hum when near these receptacles, there may be a wiring problem behind these outlets. Our electricians will determine whether the issue lies solely within the wiring or extends to your larger electrical system.

Your Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

A consistently tripping circuit breaker is another clear indicator that something is wrong. The main purpose of a circuit breaker is to protect your home from electrical fires. However, if it keeps tripping, it may signal a short circuit or other issues with your wiring system.

Burning Smells

If you detect a faint burning smell near your switches, it’s a strong indication of an electrical short. This distinctive odor is one of the most noticeable signs of faulty wiring. When you encounter this smell, it’s crucial to immediately cease using the affected outlet. Begin by switching off the circuit breaker for that specific area of your home, then unplug any connected appliances or devices.

Your Home Is More Than 40 Years Old

Homes older than four decades often experience wear and tear on the existing electrical system, struggling to meet the power demands of modern devices. Older homes, especially those constructed in the 1960s, 1970s, or even the 1980s, may lack the capacity to handle the increased electrical load required by contemporary appliances. In these homes, worn-out or overloaded electrical components can overheat, leading to insulation degradation and the formation of arcs and short circuits. These are the primary culprits behind electrical fires. In such cases, rewiring becomes necessary.

Even if your home’s wiring had been updated at some point in the past, it may still be worth having someone inspect your electrical system. Between advancements in home electricity and typical wear and tear, rewiring may help future-proof your home and help keep it safe.

Porcelain Fuses

The presence of porcelain fuses in most homes is an often overlooked sign that indicates the need for rewiring. These outdated components, predating modern circuit breakers, clearly indicate the need of updating the wiring system to conform to current electrical standards. To ensure your wiring meets code requirements, we also offer a comprehensive home electrical safety inspection.

Additionally, if your home’s fuses keep blowing out unexpectedly and often, it could mean that you may need to rewire your house. But it’s also possible that a faulty appliance is causing the problem. If you can’t figure out which appliance is responsible and the issue keeps happening, you should let our team check your wiring.

Ungrounded, Two-Pronged Outlets in Your Home

If your home has ungrounded, two-pronged outlets, it poses a serious electrical risk. Grounding involves connecting electrical systems to the Earth’s conductive surface, protecting against electric shock and its potentially fatal consequences. Having us install grounded outlets and address the lack of grounding in your residence is a crucial step in strengthening the electrical system.

Flickering or Dimming Lights

If you notice your lights flickering or dimming, it’s a possible indication that your house may need rewiring. While it’s common to initially suspect a problem with the lightbulb, irregular power fluctuations are often caused by loose wiring or faulty circuits.

Lightbulbs Constantly Burning Out in Their Sockets

Frequent lightbulb burnouts can indicate underlying wiring problems. These issues are often caused by voltage fluctuations, which refer to irregular changes in the electrical voltage supplied to the lightbulb. Let’s take a closer look at why this happens:


When the voltage supplied to the lightbulb consistently exceeds the recommended level, the filament inside the bulb becomes excessively hot. This overheating causes the filament to burn out quickly, resulting in premature bulb failure.

Under Voltage

On the other hand, if the voltage supplied to the bulb consistently falls below the recommended level, the bulb may not receive sufficient power to function properly. Consequently, the bulb struggles to produce light under such conditions, leading to more frequent burnouts.

Your Home’s Outlets Are Loose

When plugs inserted into your electrical outlets are loose, wiggling, or easily falling out, it’s crucial to replace the outlets. Loose outlets pose safety risks, as they can cause poor connections, increase the chances of electrical arcing, and potentially lead to electrical fires.

Fluctuations in Power

Power fluctuations within your home can stem from various issues, including loose wiring, overloaded sockets, or inadequate conductor size for the electrical load. These irregularities could potentially point to the main issues with your electrical wiring.

Electric Shocks

Experiencing electric shocks, even if they give you a slight tingle, should never be ignored. They’re also a clear warning that there might be a problem with the wiring in your house. Remember, there’s no such thing as a “safe shock.”

These shocks can have serious consequences, such as burns and long-term issues like numbness and even memory loss. In severe cases, electric shocks can be life-threatening, leading to strong muscle contractions and failure of the respiratory and heart systems. It’s important to fully grasp the seriousness of electric shocks and take them seriously.

You Have Aluminum Wiring or Knob and Tube Wiring

If your home utilizes aluminum wiring instead of copper wiring, it may be more susceptible to various problems, including overheating at the copper connections. You can identify an aluminum wiring system by the presence of letters such as AL, ALUM, or Aluminum on the outer jacket of the cables in your electrical panel. One significant drawback of aluminum wiring is the lack of a grounding wire, rendering it incompatible with electrical equipment or appliances. This increases the risk of fire hazards and electrical shocks.

At Absolute Services, our skilled electricians have extensive experience in house rewiring. We are fully certified and dedicated to delivering the highest quality of work. In addition to electrical services, we offer a wide range of services in Louisville, KY, including plumbing, heating, cooling, and more. Our goal is to provide our customers with a hassle-free experience.
Contact us today for more information.